Legal and Regulated Online Gaming in Michigan
Welcome to MI Gaming Review, your home for honest reviews and leading industry news on the MI online gambling industry.
Here at MI Gaming Review, we pride ourselves on providing honest evaluations and thorough information for all of your Michigan online gaming needs. Each of our reviews covers the most important aspects of online gaming. You will find information on bonuses, promotions, mobile apps, rewards programs, banking and more. We also report on gambling news and provide updates on the latest games and promotions, so you are sure to have the best online gaming experience possible in Michigan. It is all in one place where you can locate it effortlessly.
All of the online gaming sites we review are 100% legal and safe. The Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB) licenses and regulates all of the state’s legal igaming operators and ensures they follow a strict set of rules that benefit the players and community.
Michigan igaming includes online casinos, online sportsbooks, and online poker rooms as well fantasy sports and online lottery games. Our reviews and information will help you choose the sites that are best for you from the wide selection of current igaming providers in the state. Also, be sure to check back often for the most current information as offers change frequently.
Best Online Casinos in Michigan
Get started with legal online gambling with a great welcome bonus.
- Generous welcome bonus
- $25 in no deposit funds
- Good selection of slots
- Nice welcome offer
- Selection of slots
- Quality VIP program
- Well-known brand
- Exclusive slots
- Rewarding slots races
- Quality mobile app
- Sizeable welcome bonus
- Mega Jackpots slots
- Best bonus wagering
- Great range of slots
- Frequent game updates
Latest MI Online Gambling News
Read the latest online gambling news from Michigan.
MI Casino and Poker News
WSOP 2023: What This Year’s Series Means for Michigan PlayersFebruary 27, 2023
WSOP MI Online Bracelet Events Are Segregated Again in 2023February 16, 2023
PokerStars to Combine Michigan, New Jersey Player Pools on Jan. 1December 27, 2022
MI Sports News
October’s Sports Bonanza Fuels Michigan Online SportsbooksDecember 02, 2022
MI Lottery and Industry News
PrizePicks Dominated Fantasy Sports Revenue in JanuaryMarch 22, 2023
Bill Would Provide K-12 Responsible Gambling Teaching MaterialFebruary 21, 2023
Exclusive Guides to MI Online Gaming
Learn about legal, regulated online casino, sports and poker in Michigan with our exclusive, in-depth player guides.
Everything you need to know about the best online casino sites in MI: expert reviews, how to get the biggest welcome bonuses, in-depth app analysis, FAQ, and more.
Online Sports Betting
Everything you need to know about the best online sports betting sites in MI: expert reviews, how to get the biggest welcome bonuses, in-depth app analysis, FAQ, and more.
Everything you need to know about the best online poker sites in MI: expert reviews, how to get the biggest welcome bonuses, in-depth app analysis, FAQ, and more.
Michigan is one of the few states in the US that offers online casino games. In addition to Digital Lottery Tickets, Online Scratch Offs and Digital Instant Tickets, players can also choose from Online Keno, Digital Draw-based Games, and Online Pull Tabs. Players in Michigan also have the chance to buy tickets for multistate lottery games such as Powerball, Mega Millions and Lucky for Life.
Types of Online Gaming Available in MI
If you enjoy playing slots and table games, Michigan has plenty of options. Online casinos launched on January 22, 2021. This initial wave included:
- BetMGM Casino MI
- BetRivers Casino MI
- DraftKings Casino MI
- FanDuel Casino MI
- William Hill Casino MI
- Golden Nugget Casino MI
- Wynn Casino MI
Michigan allows these operators to have two separate brands: one for poker and one for casino games. Alternatively, a provider can choose to offer both on one site. Federally recognized tribes also have these options. These factors mean that the maximum number of licensed casino opeartors in Michigan right now is 15.
Sports fans can legally place online bets on events in this state. Michigan online sports betting launched on January 22, 2021, with 10 options:
- BetMGM Sportsbook MI
- BetRivers Sportsbook MI
- DraftKings Sportsbook MI
- FanDuel Sportsbook MI
- William Hill Sportsbook MI
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook MI
- Barstool Sportsbook MI
- PointsBet Sportsbook MI
- Wynn Sportsbook MI
Casino operators are only allowed one online sports betting brand each. Tribal providers can have one license per tribe. Thus, Michiganders could legally get up to 15 sportsbooks.
In addition to online casinos and sportsbooks, Michigan also has legal online poker rooms available. The first one, PokerStars MI, launched on January 29, 2021. On March 22, 2021 BetMGM Poker became the second, and WSOP opened the third Michigan online poker room in March, 2022.
In May 2022, Michigan entered the Multi-State Internet Gaming Agreement (MSIGA), paving the way for the licensed operators to combine their player pools with other members of the compact (New Jersey, Nevada, and Delaware). It took a few months before players would see any benefits from this agreement.
Finally, on Jan 1, 2023, PokerStars US became the first licensed MI operator to combine its player pool with its New Jersey platform. Other regulated operators are expected to follow the pattern, and especially WSOP, which has the presence in Michigan, New Jersey, Nevada, and Delaware.
DFS companies have operated in Michigan for a long time. However, until 2019, this type of gambling was a legal gray area. When Whitmer expanded gambling, this type officially became regulated by the MGCB.
Several companies offer Michigan Daily Fantasy Sports contests. The two most popular are DraftKings MI and FanDuel MI. Others include:
- Boom Shakalaka Inc.
- Fantasy Football Players Championship
- Fantasy Sports Shark
- FullTime Fantasy Sports Network
- SportsHub Games Network
- Yahoo Fantasy Sports
The lottery has operated in this state since 1972. In 2014, it launched online. At first, only instant keno and scratch-off games had internet alternatives.
Now, the Michigan online lottery has over 100 titles in these categories. In 2016, it added draw games. Players can now enjoy:
- Mega Millions
- Lotto 47
- Fantasy 5
Keeping your money and information secure when participating in internet gaming should be your number one priority. Some online gambling sites are scams that have unfair games or steal from players. However, you can trust regulated operators in the Wolverine State.
Why Choose a Legal Michigan Online Gaming Site?
There are several reasons for choosing a legal and regulated Michigan online gaming site. First of all, their games are always fair. Each one is audited by state authorities to ensure they do not engage in any illegal practices. You will not be duped when playing these titles. Legal online gaming sites also promote responsible gaming which can help prevent problem gambling and provide assistance for those that may be in need.
How to Know if a Michigan Online Gambling Site is Legal, Regulated, and Safe
Legal and regulated Michigan online gaming sites can be identified in the following ways:
- Gaming Regulator Seal: Operators licensed by the MGCB will display a seal on their website and in their apps. Usually, you will be able to find it on the home page. Look for a circle with “MGCB” in large capital letters. A ring around the edge should say “Michigan Gaming Control Board”.
- Association with a Land-Based Casino or State Lottery: Every online gambling provider in Michigan must have a land-based partner to operate in the state legally. They should list this information on their site. You can also find it by reading our reviews.
- Legal Jurisdiction: Casinos, sportsbooks, and poker rooms regulated by the state of Michigan will always disclose that you can only use them from within the state’s borders. Some of igaming companies that operate in other states will have separate websites for each location – sometimes available from a dropdown menu that makes it seem like the same site. If a company does not have this info readily available, consider it a red flag.
- Headquartered in the US: Every Michigan online gambling site will have headquarters in the US. Offshore businesses are disreputable, and you should not trust them. You can find out this detail with a quick Google search.
- Customer Service: Secure operators want to keep customers happy. Operators will provide avenues to get in touch with them when you have a problem. Look for a support phone number, email address, or live chat.
- Rewards Program: Not every regulated company will provide a rewards program, especially if they have recently launched. However, most of the regulated sites have them and most of the illegal offshore sites do not.
- Recognizable Name: Legal operators will be well-known. Search our website for reviews and news articles. If you cannot find any, do not gamble through that company.
How to Get Started Gambling Online in Michigan
If you want to enjoy online casinos, sportsbooks, or poker rooms in Michigan, follow these steps:
- Follow the Registration Link: We provide links that take you straight to the sign-up page. To use them, find the review of the site you are interested in.
- Create an Account: Account creation will normally be the same from site to site. Provide your email address, create a username, and pick a password.
- Verify Your Identity: You will need to provide personal information such as your name, address, date of birth, and SSN. The operator will use this to ensure you are who you claim. It will keep your information protected and will not share it with anyone else.
- Download the App: If you prefer gaming on the go, consider downloading a casino, sportsbook, or poker room app. Most companies will offer one for Android and iOS. Many also have sites that are functional from any mobile browser.
- Make a Deposit: To play real money games, you will need to fund your account. If you are taking advantage of a deposit bonus, make sure to read the terms and conditions, so you know the minimum and maximum requirements. You should also research what payment methods are offered. Some options might have limitations. Once you decide which is best for you, visit the cashier to put money into your account.
- Register for Promotions: See our reviews for the best promotions available from each online operator. You can also locate the promotion page on the operator’s website, typically it will be listed at the top of the home page. Scroll through the available bonuses, read the terms and conditions, and decide which ones you want to take advantage of.
Requirements for registering will vary depending on the type. However, each one should list what you need to do.
The state of Michigan takes measures to promote responsible gambling in cooperation with its online gaming providers and land-based casinos. There are many factors that comprise responsible gaming such as:
- Ensuring that only individuals of legal age are allowed to play
- Providing users with the ability to set limits on their spending and time spent gambling
- Allowing users to predetermine timeout periods to avoid potentially harmful behavior
- Establishing a system that allows users to self-exclude or self-ban themselves from online gaming sites and apps and land-based casinos
- Giving back to the community in the form of funding for First Responders and schools in the state
- Funding Problem Gambling services
- Certifying that online gaming operators take the proper safety measures to segregate your funds to keep your money secure and ensure payouts can always go through and protect your personal and banking information
Setting Gambling Limits
To be a safe gambler, you need to stick to a budget. Never bet more than you can afford. However, sometimes that can be hard to do on your own. This is where responsible gaming measures come in. Operators provide specific sections on their sites with resources to help you. You will find tools like:
- Deposit Limits: This option allows you to put a cap on how much money you can put into your account at a time.
- Betting Restrictions: You can set what hours the site allows you to make wagers in and how much you can bet.
- Self-Exclusions: This option lets you prohibit yourself from creating an account by adding your name to the state’s Responsible Gambling Database. You can also exclude yourself from the sportsbook or casino side of a site even If you have already signed up. The application to be added to the Responsible Gambling Database can be found on the MGCB website.
Community Benefits of Gambling Taxes
You should also pick an online gaming site from Michigan because it benefits the community through tax revenue. This industry helps:
- Education: 65% of gambling income goes toward the state’s internet gambling fund, and part of this amount is used for school aid. The lottery contributes 35% of every dollar spent on tickets toward the education system. In 2018 alone, it provided around $1 billion.
- Responsible Gaming: The state’s internet gambling fund also goes toward funding RG initiatives. Services such as MAPG and the Michigan Helpline would not be possible without this tax revenue.
- City Improvement: 30% of a casino’s tax income goes toward the city where its partner is located. The government uses this money to hire and train police officers. It also supports job development, emergency services, and youth outreach programs.
The city wagering tax pays for neighborhood development, public safety and anti-gang programs, and road improvements.
- First Responders: Gaming taxes help those that help us by providing $2 million to the the First Responder Presumed Coverage Fund
- Local Jobs: Commercial and tribal operators employ about 38,000 Michiganders.
It is not a secret that gambling can sometimes be addictive. As part of its responsible gaming initiative, The MGCB and its licensed operators provide ways for recognizing when you might have a problem and resources to help yourself.
Providers must also give players the number for the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Gambling Disorder Helpline (1-800-270-7117). This service is one of the many state-provided initiatives. For more information on where to get help, you can visit the MDHHS website.
Another government-provided resource is the Michigan Association on Problem Gambling (MAPG), which helps connect players to resources and trains counselors. Severely addicted gamblers can also register for the Michigan Disassociated Persons List, which bans them from land-based casinos for life.
The MGCB is aware that gambling can sometimes be addictive. Michigan provides resources to help any players who think they might have a problem:
- Michigan Problem Gambling Helpline: This toll-free number (1-800-270-7117) has counselors available 24/7 to talk to players.
- Placement in the Responsible Gaming Database: People in Michigan may voluntarily prohibit themselves from creating an internet wagering account (such as those at online casino, online sportsbooks and online poker rooms) with internet gaming operators. The service is also available for those that have already created an account but wish to self-exclude. The application to be placed in the Responsible Gaming Database is provided by the Michigan Gaming Control Board.
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS): The MDHHS provides treatment options and gives an up-to-date list of approved providers separated by county. This service allows people find help close to home.
- Michigan Association on Problem Gambling (MAPG): This nonprofit organization assists Michiganders by connecting them to treatment resources. It also trains counselors and caregivers on how to help problem gamblers. You will find helpful information on their website.
- Gamblers Anonymous and GAM-ANON: These support groups hold weekly meetings throughout the state.
- Michigan Disassociated Persons List: Maintained by the MGCB, this service lets people register to bar themselves from gambling. Enrolled players cannot enter any Michigan casino.
Be aware that joining the Michigan Disassociated Persons List is a lifetime pledge. However, persons on the list can petition to be removed from the list after a 5-year period. Anyone on the list seen at a casino will be removed and charged with criminal trespassing.
|BetMGM||100% to $1000||Visit »|
|PokerStars Casino||100% up to $600||Visit »|
|BetRivers||$200 Freeplay||Visit »|
|FanDuel||$1000 Play It Again||Visit »|
|DraftKings||100% to $2000||Visit »|
|MI Poker Rooms|
|PokerStars||100% to $600||Visit »|
|BetMGM||100% to $1000||Visit »|
There are 26 physical casinos in Michigan. Three are considered “commercial casinos” and located in Detroit, and the rest are tribal casinos that are spread out throughout the state. 15 operators own these casinos.
Near the end of 2019, when Michigan legalized internet gambling, existing land-based operators were the first invited to apply for these licenses. So all legal and regulated online gaming sites in Michigan have a land-based casino partner.
If you still have questions about online gambling in the Wolverine State, we will answer them below:
What Types of Online Gambling Are Legal in Michigan?
You can legally participate in several different kinds of gambling in MI, including:
- Daily Fantasy Sports
Players can also participate in the iLottery. It offers over 100 keno and scratch-off games. Plus, you can participate in the Powerball, Mega Millions, Lotto 47, and Fantasy 5.
Do I Need to be in Michigan to Play on Michigan Online Gambling Sites?
Yes, you must be in the state to play on its gambling websites. Operators use geolocation technology to ensure that you are. However, this does not mean you have to live in the Wolverine State.
You can gamble in Michigan if you are visiting. However, as soon as you leave, you get blocked from playing. Before you consider taking a trip to MI, consider whether the site you are interested in operates in your state. Some companies have launched in multiple locations.
Can I Play on Michigan Online Gambling Sites if I am Just Visiting the State?
Visitors to the Wolverine State are welcome to join in on the gambling fun. You can enjoy casino games, bet on sportsbooks, and join poker rooms in the state during your time there. When you leave the borders, you will be blocked from playing.
What is the Minimum age to Gamble Online in Michigan?
To create an account and bet on real money games in MI, you must be at least 21. During the sign-up process, you will have to provide personal information. This data includes your date of birth. You cannot lie about how old you are, as these companies will take steps to confirm your identity.
Is it Safe to Gamble Online in Michigan?
Yes, gambling online in Michigan is safe. Choosing a legal site is much better than visiting illegal offshore options. The latter is unregulated, so you have no protections.
MI casinos, sportsbooks, and poker rooms have licenses from the MGCB. This authority regularly audits them, tests their games for fairness, and ensures they follow a strict set of rules.
How Do Michigan Online Gambling Apps Know my Location?
These apps use geolocation technology to determine where you are at. You cannot trick these applications into thinking you are in the Wolverine State when you are not. They will detect the use of VPNs or other software used to change your location.
Does Michigan Have Legal Online Poker?
Yes, this state offers internet poker. PokerStars, BetMGM Poker, and WSOP all operate in Michigan. In 2022, the state also joined the MSIGA, creating possibilities for the licensed operators to combine players pools with those in other states, namely Nevada, New Jersey, and Delaware.
Who Regulates Michigan Online Gaming?
The MGCB regulates all internet gambling in MI. It provides licenses and makes sure all casinos, sportsbooks, and poker rooms follow strict rules. You can see a list of all regulated operators on its website. Legal providers in this state will have the MGCB seal.
Can I Gamble Online in Michigan From my Phone?
Yes, you can access MI operators from your phone. Most providers have apps for Android and iOS. To download these applications, use the links in our reviews. You can also use some websites from any mobile browser.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Michigan?
Yes, sports betting is legal in this state. Governor Gretchen Whitmer allowed this type of gambling when she signed House Bill 4311 in 2019. The first 10 sportsbooks launched on January 22, 2021. Since then, more have opened. Current options include:
- Golden Nugget
- William Hill
- Fox Bet
- Four Winds
What to Consider When Signing up to an Online Gambling Site in Michigan?
Michigan has many different gaming sites, and choosing the right one for your needs is vital. First, you should decide what types of gambling you want to participate in. If you wish to bet on sports, you should look for the sportsbook with the best reputation.
If you want to focus on playing table games and enjoy occasional poker tournaments, look for a casino with a large lobby that also has a poker room. Compare welcome packages, promotions, and reward programs to make sure you get the best deals.
Check out what banking methods an operator has. If you have a preference, make sure it is there. Ensure they have a long list of trusted options, so you know your money is in good hands.
How Does Banking Work for Michigan Online Gambling Sites?
Banking options will vary depending on what site you use. Often, more are available for deposit than withdrawal. However, some options will work for both transactions. Some common types include credit and debit cards, prepaid cards, and bank or wire transfers.